Friday, May 16, 2008

Strike 3

Well my Remicade treatment didn't go too well yesterday. I had another reaction. So now I have 8 weeks to decide what to do. The doctor said she would be willing to try it one more time this time having the IV drip really slow. I have the reaction 30 minutes into the treatment, then they stop it and dose me with fluids and steroids, and start it up again and I'm fine. So we just have to find a way to get me past the 30 minute mark. So do I give it one more try or do I try a different treatment? The other treatment my doctor is thinking about is Humira. I would have to give myself injections every other week. Which is no big deal, that doesn't bother me a bit. But how do I know that will work as well as the Remicade. The Remicade isn't only helping the rheumatoid arthritis it is helping my ulcerative colitis. The Humira is suppose to help both too. Ughh I hate making decisions. On one hand the Humira sounds great because it will be a 15 second injection at home instead of a 4 hour infusion at the doctor's office. Plus the nurses won't have to worry about me coming in. I know it isn't my fault but I feel so bad that I put the two nurses through my reactions. I'm sure it isn't a bright spot in their day and I don't want them to see my name of the schedule and think Oh Great Trouble Patient is coming in. Believe me you do think that about certain patients, not in a mean way but in a pitiful way. But I know how the Remicade works and how great I feel after I get it. Should I just give it one more try? Or throw in the towel?

0 comments: